MLA and Friends of Muskoka Endorsed Candidate for Ward B Councillor, Township of Muskoka Lakes
Background and Relevant Experience
A TML Councillor for four years, Susan is a member of both the Planning Committee and General Finance Committee. Susan was Vice-Chair of the Economic Development Committee, Chair of the Recreation Master Plan Steering Committee, Chair of the COVID Communication Committee, and is a member of the Broadband Working Group. She is also a liaison for both the Hekkla and Raymond Community Centres.
In addition to her work on the TML Council, Susan was on the Executive Committee for RAMP Muskoka and is now a champion of this cause alongside other elected officials. Susan was a founding leader of 100 Women Who Care (Toronto West), and a recipient of the 2020 Recognition Award for Outstanding Service to the Community.
Susan believes that her experience living in Muskoka during her school years, and being a lifetime seasonal resident, have proven that she is well suited to understand issues in both planning and community matters. This foundation, combined with Susan's 15 year career in senior client management roles, focused on strategy development, team leadership and implementation excellence, have proven invaluable in municipal government. Susan’s work ethic, curiosity to look beyond Muskoka Lakes for solutions, thoughtful decision making and collaborative approach have consistently led to strong outcomes and in her view are important elements for effective stewardship for TML.
Susan’s Priorities for the Township
As an advocate for a " healthy environment and healthy communities” vision for TML, there are a number of initiatives to which Susan remains committed:
1. advocate for a healthy watershed that supports healthy communities;
2. ensure TML works with different levels of government and stakeholder organizations to prepare for the impacts of climate change;
3. make certain that infrastructure plans align with community needs and that policies/plans are sustainable;
4. promote implementation of the recreation master plan, to provide relevant four season recreation options; and
5. continue to advocate for economically prosperous communities by ensuring appropriate housing options and broadband connectivity.
Susan looks forward to working with council, staff and the public to achieve more success in the next four years!